Trip Report Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 14:11
ThreadID: 38399 Views:6427 Replies:12 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Well as Ross is no typist I am writing the account of the trip to the top.

Firstly, Ross would never have made it without me as I was the navigator.

Brisbane to the Cape and back 6500 kms, 94 hours driving time, fuel 762 ltrs with 11.2 ltrs/100 kms – 8.53 kms/lts. Fuel consumption up a little as average speed up to compensate for slow spots. (also towing Aussie swag camper trailer)

Originally planned to leave Brisbane Tuesday 23rd however when all was packed decided to take off straight away 3:45pm Monday. This meant good start and night driving through familiar territory and missing the tedious country through the Marlborough stretch. Unfortunately arrived Airlie Beach 4:30am Tuesday – no self respecting van park would appreciate a knock at the door this early. Slept in the car above Shute Harbour – awoke to beautiful view and then the rain began. Only a short cleansing shower.

Caught up with relies and spent a day or so relaxing before heading to Cairns our next overnight stop (Big 4 : Coconut Grove – south side off Cairns) Our last visit to Cairns was about 20 years ago - still recognisable but fair bit of growth. The van parks are full of Victorians escaping the winter. We did the usual sightseeing and visiting old haunts.

Headed off for the real adventure Friday 26th. Bitumen half way up the Bloomfield Track – I suppose this meant we could pay more attention to the scenery – where the rainforest meets the ocean -however took the fun out of the drive. Lots of day trippers through here. Once we left the bitumen (only 4wd past this sign- small creek crossing) the traffic lightened and we started to really relax. The roads were good – however would still be slippery in the wet with some fair climbs towing camper.

Lunch at the Lion’s Den – great beer and hamburgers. Seems the backpackers even find their way here for a little work experience. I forgot to mention Rossville – this amused Ross for the next 100 kms. (actually not much to mention about Rossville)
It’s funny how differently you look at things when you are on holidays. All of a sudden everything becomes a photo opportunity, so I am sure we have a fairly good record of what was worth viewing. This becomes even clearer when we travel further north as every change in the landscape is commented on by both of us almost at the same time.

Black Mountain looms ahead as we leave the Lions Den and just before re-entering the bitumen. Some good pictures of the Annan River and then on to Lakelands – this is the last spot before fuel becomes a measure of wealth. ($1-34 per litre)

Lakelands to Laura – the road conditions okay with a number of large bulldust holes which can catch you unawares. The corrugations felt endless on the way up however on the return trip we decided these were not too bad after we had been conditioned by other portions of the road north.

Laura to Hann River Road House – again the road conditions okay however still brought us undone. 11 kms out of Hann River a U-bolt on the camper snapped – that last floodway was the final jolt that broke us. Lesson learnt here to check that all is tight every so often and also even with all the spares something as simple as a U-bolt can bring a halt to the trek. Bit of bush mechanics (version one) got us on the way again. (always carry some fencing wire) We limped into Hann. Here we learnt about local humour – we were directed to the workshop – no one there – three locals having a beer at the back of a ute – just watching us wander and call for anyone there - no answer – so on the way back to roadhouse we stopped and asked if they knew where the workshop mechanic was – answer – Yeah.- question – Don’t tell me its you – answer – Yeah. I guess the tourists are the locals only sport. Anyway very helpful next morning armed with 4 x new U-bolts we set to work, fixed the trailer and headed off again. Note: If you order the works burger be prepared for a feast for two. (basically this meal is two burgers – one steak one hamburger without tops and drowned in chips) Hann River was where we first ran into the Heritage 4WD Bus tours – these haunted us all the way to the Cape. Large proportion of Victorians and more mature aged passengers. All in bed by 8:30pm. Actually thinking about it so were we.

Hann to Archer River – Road conditions very good no problems – river beautiful and great for a paddle and cool off. Great photo opportunities – also popular with the local lads who partied all night and all day and all night including the didgeridoos Archer River Roadhouse facilities excellent and campsites grassed and staff very helpful. Don’t camp up the top – as the big refrigerated road trains tend to stop there and the compressors run all night. Also the lads make their trips in current model troop carriers up from the river to replenish their party supplies. I wish we had photos this endeavour involved probably ten passengers inside, four on tail gate and three on the roof racks. (Just a note further up the Cape – Bamaga I think, there are yellow road signs with this pictured with a cross through it, prohibiting travel this way – very funny. Make sure you have a look at the photo album at the roadhouse as the photos of the floods after the last two cyclones tell a story.

Archer River to Bramwell Junction - road conditions good – however we were told from Bramwell onto Heathlands Ranger Station via the development road – was #@$%house (one traveller told us you could stand a coke can up in the corrugations and not see the can) – this was not a problem as we planned to use the old telegraph track from here on.

This is what we (well Ross) came for – the adventure of the OTL – the I’ve been there done that – we have the stickers, stubby holders and photos to prove it.
Palm Creek – no water – just mud – good in and out.
Ducie Creek – murky, little deeper than expected – thigh deep – stay to the left hand side.
North Alice Creek – No problem
Dulhunty River – One of the prettiest crossings – walk it first – watch for rock pools.
Bertie Creek – Same as Dulhunty watch for pot holes.
Gunshot Creek – Numerous choices here. Depends on the conditions – We choose the one on the left – no problems with the camper. Still good boast photos. Care needed as a few have left parts behind.
Cockatoo Creek- Another Pretty spot – large pot holes.
All the creeks had been good with no problems entry or exit.
Fruit bat falls- definitely worth a stop and a swim – beautiful – only a day spot no camping.
Twin Falls/ Elliott Falls – We camped here for the night great for an early pack up and swim in the morning. Our first encounter with the bike tours. This mob noisy and tended to leave their rubbish behind.
Canal Creek – Lovely spot to camp – large rock pools to bath in beside road.
Sam Creek – No Problems.
Mistake and Cannibal Creeks – okay going North steep climbs out – if South sandy exits may be difficult.
Cypress Creek – Log Bridge – a must for boasty photos however beware if you are the passenger as all rests on you to guide the lordly driver over so any mistake will be yours. You also must take the best photos whilst making sure the lord does not miss his mark. He will then take all the credit when showing the resulting photos.
Nolan Brook – Well, yes you have to do this one if you don’t want to revisit the log bridge. Deep crossing with sandy bottom – some have got stuck here and have left holes to avoid. Worth tarping up. Walk the crossing (or swim) we stuck to the centre (deep here) as all wheels remained firmly on the ground. Others chose to the side however this meant their vehicles went through on an angle with all weight on one side. Good photo opportunities regardless of outcome. We took on a little water through door seals, nothing into camper (I think it floats).
Nolan Brook to Jardine River Crossing – Back on development road – few roadworks – roads good – no problems.
Jardine vehicular Crossing $99 for 20 second crossing.
North to Bamaga – wide roads no problems.
Continued to Punsand Bay – stayed here for three days. Make sure you don’t camp past C grounds as some travellers told us their facilities were very poor and shared with many. Ours were fairly good – clean – large showers (for showering with a friend) good pressure. Note; if you eat at resort make sure you ask what you will get as the meal advertised (Barramundi or Beef) was not what we got (fish of the day from fishing trip and no meat offered) not happy as meals were $32 head and Ross does not eat fish and I do not like mackerel. Also powered sites (which we paid for) seem to be first in first served whether paid for or not – long power cords a must as even people on non powered sites will tap in anyway and this can leave you without a plug.
Things to do at the Top: Make sure you visit the Croc tent – the lady there will give you a map and local history and hot spots for spotting crocs etc. Souvenirs okay much the same as in Cooktown Croc shop. (the Cooktown Croc shop is run by the original Croc Tent lady – totally eccentric – she has a book for $20 about her time at the Cape) I think there is a little antipathy between the new Croc Tent lady and the Croc Shop Cooktown (original lady) lady.
Walk to the tip is a must for photos. Make sure you carry a rock to add to the pile – I thought these had aboriginal significance such as marked burial sites only to find the real origin was just a touristy thing. Walk is well worth the views and is probably not the 15 minutes they suggest but maybe 25minutes.
We decided also to take a helicopter trip (15minutes $99 each) over the top also – great views and shots and sighted one large croc and pilot sighted one large shark. Pilot is ex musterer so I was a little queasy for the next hour or so.
Also did the expected trips to Somerset ruins, Jardine’s grave sites, freshwater spring – don’t know about the spring but the beach was lovely. Also Loyalty Beach, Seisa, Bamaga and surrounds and associated tracks looking for Crocs.
Loyalty Beach camp grounds well maintained grass sites looks like mainly for fishing.
Seisa worth a look also for fishing.
Bamaga not my kind of town.
Trip home
We decided to take the OTL track after Heathlands Station this avoided Gunshot and Nolan Brook and also meant we did not have to travel the worst part of the Development road.
Stopped at Cooktown – windy but beautiful – not down town tourist ville yet. Probably won’t be long though. Day we were there, a croc tried to take a dog at the boat ramp and the day before a taipan crossed the main road.
Next stop at Cairns. Ross had heard a great meal (beef) to be had at the Cock and Bull so he had to have a meat fix.
Then onto Lucinda – very obviously a popular fishing spot – every 4WD with tinnie must have been here. Also the sugar loading terminal. Camping Grounds – facilities good and grassed.
Airlie Beach- This is more like it. I feel clean again. Spent a day out at the outer reef snorkelling and then the following on Hamilton Island sight seeing by golf buggy (great views from the top) and then swimming off Whitehaven Beach.

Last Notes – I was surprised so many of the travellers (tourists mainly) on the road to the Cape do not observe common courtesies such as slowing down and moving to left when oncoming to avoid stone throwing. The other observation was some of the hostile hand gestures from the government supported locals. This has changed my usually moderate opinion of where I would like to see my tax dollars spent.

Regards Ross and Leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:17

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:17
Great report Leigh. Can you come on my next trip and write a report for me like that. Just doesn't happen like that in my bus. LOL

Sounds like you had a great trip and it bought back the memories from our trip up there a few years ago.

Des
AnswerID: 198576

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:34

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:34
Hey Des
Careful what you wish for hahaha
Got to go here she comes.....aaaaarrrrrrrrrrr
ross
FollowupID: 457262

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:54

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 15:54
A good read, thank you Leigh/Ross.

Almost like being there.....but not quite.

'Tis definately on my list.

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 198579

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:24

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:24
Welcome back guys,

What a great read, I am sure those following in your footsteps will be thankful for your effort and the rest of us would be just plain jealous of your trip. I'll look forward to catching up again soon to have a gander at some photo's. The one's you have in the rig profile are just appetiser's I'm sure.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 198596

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:39

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:39
Hi Trevor.

You organise the trip we will bring the photos. The only thing to stop us will be work. One week to go.

regards Ross and Leigh
FollowupID: 457292

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:46

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:46
I'll give you a phone call to try and organise something later tonight.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 457295

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:50

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 17:50
ok look forward to hearing from you
regards ross and leigh
FollowupID: 457296

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 18:53

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 18:53
Ross & Leigh,
As the lads have already said, a great write up. I am too lazy to do my latest.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 198611

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 18:56

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 18:56
Ross and Leigh,

That was great reading and so much information. Anyone heading to the Cape will get some good advice out of it all. Makes me want to pack up and head off right now.

Glad that you enjoyed it all.

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 198612

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 19:04

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006 at 19:04
G/day Leigh & Ross.Sounds like a great trip had by you two & thankfully the Croc's are still a little hungry.Lol.I am soooooo envious of you, but like all the other trips i have in mind will have to stay there for a while.Glad that you were able to unwind on that little island just off the coast as well.Leigh you will have permanent job of trip reports by the sound of things from this site as well, lol.
Cheer's to you both, Bob.
AnswerID: 198614

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 08:40

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 08:40
Great write up, Leigh.

The Cape is still on my wish list but may be all bitumen afore I get there. Did the Bloomfield Track some years ago as far as Cooktown before there was any bitumen there :-)

Yes, common driving courtesies as seriouly lacking with some travellers. I had to replace the windscreen at the end of this years holiday after a ute came thundering down the road throwing fist size rocks in all directions.

Cheers
AnswerID: 198692

Reply By: Member - Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:07

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:07
Thanks for bringing back some great memories of that area.

On a positive side re the locals we found that the top was about the only place in all Oz that they worked in their shops etc. Not only that but they were even nice to us. Must be the mix of races in their genes.

The OTL may not be a really rugged trek however still one of those places well worth going to. Of all the crossings we found Cannibal to be the most challenging. That probably changes from time to time, as most unmade roads do.

Regards
Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 198694

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:30

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:30
We were impressed with the roadworks and workers particularly approaching Bamaga (Injinoo Council). I think those development roads would be like the Harbour Bridge - get to the end and start again. Very friendly and hardworking - no matter what the day. The sullen attitude we came across was mainly in the Bloomfield stretch. I guess they probably get sick of the tourists.

A number of the crossings on the OTL are eroded particularly South. Ross drove a German couples hired troop carrier through the two north of Twin Falls (I am sure their insurance is not coverd on OTL). They were first timers and unsure because of the eroded exits and the pot holes in the creeks. I think they kept to the Development road after this as we spotted them at the Cape a few days later.

FollowupID: 457582

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 20:15

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2006 at 20:15
Leigh excellent report the sort of info a potential traveller craves. A wish listtrip for us as its about a 2 week trip from Perth just to get to Cairns.

Well done

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 198802

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:00

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:00
Sounds like an excellent trip, you guys.
Really enjoyed the read. Thanks for the effort, Leigh.

Regards, Brian
AnswerID: 198845

Reply By: Oz Travellers - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:29

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:29
Good story Leigh. We went to the Cape in Sept'05 and returned via the cargo ship to Cairns. Sounds like the same experience we had. Did you also visit Weipa, Portland Roads & Chili beach? Sparky
AnswerID: 198847

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:05

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:05
We had a great trip and I would have loved a return by cargo ship. On the way up we came across two separate push bike travellers - I think the trip back by cargo ship would have been particularly attractive to them. Unfortunately we didn't get to Weipa, Portlands or Chilli Beach the planning for the trip was brought forward as I start a new position when I go back to work next week and it was now or never. We both hesitated at the Lockhart River sign and thought of a detour however by this stage we had another couple and their two boys travelling with us. They had had some trouble with their trailer just before Fruit bat falls on the way South.

Next trip or trip after (as I think Darwin etc next) we hope to revisit some of the areas of the cape and also take in Captain Billy's Landing, Lockhart, Kalpower veterans retreat and Lakefield National park. We were told they now re locate the troublesome crocs from more populated areas into Lakefield as the croc farms are prospering and don"t need the big fellows.

regards Ross and Leigh
FollowupID: 457581

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:31

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:31
Great read guys, rather envious and plotting a trip as I write.

Good to see the Landy giving you a hand (the quiet achiever - had to get that in!)

Regards
AnswerID: 198848

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:34

Thursday, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:34
I don't want to disappoint. We drive a Navara - the vehicle being towed belongs to another member of this web site (haha - he knows who he is)
FollowupID: 457583

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:09

Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:09
I'll never live it down, will I.

LOL!!!
FollowupID: 458029

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 10:20

Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 10:20
Not while we have pictures...he he he he
Over time it may?????? disapear haha
regards ross.

P.s how did you go with your truck
FollowupID: 458050

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 15:22

Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 15:22
Ross,

I like Zukescooter's interpretation of events on that day. Have you seen his rig pictures? if not go have a look (it's very funny) and you will see why my rig pic is the way it is.

The Patrol is back in my driveway, only after I mortgaged my right arm to get it back. Drives a whole heap better but it needs to for the next 300000km to make it worthwhile.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 458099

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 15:24

Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 at 15:24
Sorry Ross,

Zukescooter has taken the pic off his profile. It was the X90 pasted into the defender's spot towing me out.
FollowupID: 458100

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 21:45

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2006 at 21:45
Hi trev
I remember seeing it and I can't keep this lie going any more I cut and pasted that landrover over bobs zuk....hahaha..
ross
FollowupID: 458531

Sponsored Links